[Gifset: Laverne Cox speaks at the GLAAD media awards, she says,
"Each and every one of us has the capacity to be an oppressor. I want to encourage each and every one of us to interrogate how we might be an oppressor, and how we might be able to become liberators for ourselves and each other."]
What’s so scary about smart girls?
The question was posed by a donor representative speaking at the Girl Summit 2014 this week in London. The speaker’s answer to his own question – that smart girls can change the world – matched the mood of the event, which was upbeat, energetic, and ambitious in its goals.
Not really a surprise…that government is doing nothing to stop it. Cops are so corrupted, organizations so corrupted, that it actually FUELS the issue. Some women and children may never be saved, never get justice…such a shame
There are some problems we think a lot about, issues like climate change, gender equality, and poverty. Other problems are less visible to us, and it’s partly because we don’t see them that they continue to exist. See how one group brings an often passed-over problem front and center.
Five Things You Did Not Know About Human Trafficking
- Modern slavery exists in the 21st century, even in the United States.
- Human trafficking does not require movement or the crossing of borders.
- Anyone can be a victim of human trafficking.
- The illegal profits made from the use of forced labor in the private economy worldwide amount to $150.2 billion per year, according to the International Labor Organization.
- The food you eat, the products you buy, and the consumer items you use on a daily basis may have been produced by victims of forced labor. Become a conscientious consumer by visiting Slavery Footprint to determine “How many slaves work for you?”
What if magazines covered topics such as child marriage, human trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation? This year for International Women’s Day (March 8), Catapult is raising awareness about the challenges facing women and girls around the world. Learn more about what you can do to help.
This is incredible. An amazing, new type of magazine. Aren’t YOU tired of seeing naked women on them all the time? I am!
Pornography is a brilliant social marketing campaign for commercial sexual exploitation.